Monday 2 January 2012

Massimo Vitali

Massimo-Vitali5
Massimo-Vitali4
Massimo-Vitali7
Massimo-Vitali6
Massimo-Vitali3
Massimo-Vitali1

"The images are crowded and dense and rich with banal detail. Large masses of people congregate closely together — trying to relax or play — while wedged between the sea and man-made industrial urban landscapes. Tourists suffer together in the summer heat of Europe’s historic attractions, surrounded by contemporary visual clutter and hounded by hucksters...

There is so much happening in each of these photos, and yet nothing is really happening, and perhaps that is what makes them so fascinating, Vitali says his work is the exact opposite of Cartier-Bresson’s approach to the decisive moment, yet the moments he chooses are rich in many other ways."
http://www.lensculture.com/vitali.html

Massimo Vitali
"Over the last couple of years my work has been less focused on portraiture and more about landscapes. I wanted to show that humans are like colonies of mammals living on the coast, but got fed up with beach umbrellas and unruly crowds. Now the subject is nature versus colonisation. Although we try, the force of nature is something we cannot completely destroy.
Working with white rocks appeals to me because against this background every figure stands out. I found some in Sicily, then by chance learned that there were more at Sarakiniko, on the north coast of the Greek island of Milos. I looked it up on Google Earth, then headed there in August in a van with my assistants, equipment, wife and son. The moment I arrived I knew it was the place I had hoped for. I don't explore very much with my work: when I go somewhere I already know exactly what I want to do. Everything is planned.
The appeal of the location is that the sea has been digging its way in to make a little lake, so people stay in the middle of this soft rock formation. It's like a place where penguins could nest or lay their eggs. People feel a cosiness about it. Though it's a well-known spot, it wasn't crowded. I didn't speak to any of the people in the picture: there were some Greek families but it's more of a cosmopolitan place and everyone keeps to themselves. Yet there were some very interesting interactions going on.
I took three or four negatives that first day, and this is one of them. I always think I have done everything I need, but when I develop the negatives I feel that I haven't taken enough. I love this picture, but you always think, "Maybe I could have taken more." That is being a photographer"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/nov/27/photography-massimo-vitali-best-shot

No comments:

Post a Comment